Friday, February 9, 2018

Saying Goodbye

My dad is in the final days of hospice. At 88 he's lived a full life and ready to meet his Savior. 

What made him such an amazing man?

1. As a dad, he loved with constancy and dedication; He was for me in every way that mattered.
2. He verbalized his approval and admiration.
3. He modeled and articulated a winsome relationship with His Savior.
4. He loved people, and showed me how important it was to touch others’ lives.
5. He had a sense of humor and knew the gift and delight of laughter.
6. He knew what was most important: robustly loving people, showing mercy, and lavishly giving.

Dad told and retold the story of bringing me home after the call came that a baby girl was waiting to be adopted.  He always described it as if it were the happiest day of my mom’s and his lives.  The joy on his face as he’d tell the account will be a memory etched on my heart.  That was the beginning of my life of blessing as a loved part of our family.

Dad worked hard to support us, and so we attended a small private school, my dad paid for most of my college, and gave me the wedding of my dreams.  Mostly, he knew the value of the spoken word to my tender, sensitive heart. I recall many, many affirmations of love, appreciation, and deep pride that he spoke to me.

Dad was the spring from which bubbled much wisdom.  He taught me to value all people, without judgment or category. And he modeled a compassion that lived out those beliefs.  I was only 9 or 10 when out on a drive with him somewhere downtown.  He came upon a stranger, intoxicated, lying on the side of the road (literally).  In a modern good Samaritan role, he pulled over and got out.  He helped the man in the back of the car and we drove him somewhere safe, warm, and to be cared for.  When I mentioned on the way that he was dirty and smelled, my dad just affirmed for me that he needed help and we were bringing him to get some.

Dad loved His Savior.  I can recount many, many times that as we talked about our faith, he would passionately share what he had recently listened to on the radio, heard in Sunday's sermon, read in a book or in Scripture. It was never just cerebral for him, it was relational.  He knew his God personally, and it was apparent.

God’s love and mercy shown toward my dad was evidenced and passed on in the forgiveness and patience my dad extended toward others.  This was seen in little and big ways.  Most notably was in the days following my sister’s death.  My dad gathered the family together and led us in a direction of mercy, grace and forgiveness toward my sister’s killer.  His heart was tender, without bitterness, grieving and heartbroken but not without a deep awareness of the poison of unforgiveness and anger.

Dad sat me down as a new college graduate and encouraged me as I worked with children. “They need to know you love them, Elaine.”   He taught me the value of personal touch: a hand on their shoulder, a gently hand across their head, a quick touch on the arm.  “God made us to respond to touch.”  He was an honorable man of integrity who was not afraid to hug you.  Even in his 80’s he would seek out the lonely among his church family and give a smile, hug, or word of compliment.  He loved people.

Anyone who knew my dad likely heard him spin a story with a twinkle in his eye and an engaging wit. He loved the business of living, and enjoyed the retelling of its adventure.  Post office stories, a young recruit in the navy, his process serving escapades (including many colorful close calls) highlight a few of his topics.  And I won’t forget the fathering stories he told, endearing him as tears of laughter rolled down our cheeks.

I was blessed beyond description to have been given the father that I had. He loved my mom. He loved Dorothy (his current wife), He loved his God.  He was faithful to the end.

And I now rejoice for him at the reunion he’ll soon have with so many he loved.  Even as I grieve for the end of my own earthly joy of being his daughter, I rejoice that He’ll soon see His Savior.

Thank you, Dad.

You made my Heavenly Father so easy to trust, love, and feel safe with because you modeled so well what being a good father is.

I am richly, richly blessed and truly grateful.

(For an earlier post on my dad: One Man's Influence



11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, special, and godly man. Thank you for sharing. May God comfort you and give you joy as you think about Grandpa with Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is precious beyond words. I almost made it through without crying. He is all you stated and more. He will be missed and continued to be loved by many still here. I told him the last visit that I know God has a store room of treasures for him for all he did for Jesus to and for us all who came into his life. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to a Godly and loving father. Praying for you and your family to be comforted by the Spirit with the joy that surpasses all understanding as you say goodbye (for now) to your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully spoken. A gift beyond measure and a love that is eternal in your heart and his.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tribute! Elaine you are truly blessed to have such a father. I wish I knew him--I wish I had had a father like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elmer was one of the most unique gentlemen I know. We had such good times together, Jo, Elmer, Dick and I. He was an individual like none other, and so was JO. We had so many, many good laughs, talks, trips delivering papers, ice cream, motorcycle rides, parties, and much more. I was blessed to have been their friend. What a gathering of wonderful friends and family there will be in heaven. And Elaine, you were a wonderful student I had the privilege of working with in many different ways as well. Loved you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! What an amazing dad you had! God definitely knew what He was doing to bless you so much with such love and wonder in a father! so thankful we have a Godly Father who loves us even more to help us and forgive us and encourage us time and time again! I pray that Jesus wraps His arms around you all in comfort as you say goodbye to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully spoken for an amazing man. My deepest sympathy and prayers of comfort through your grief. Goodbyes are very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elaine:

    We are so sorry to hear about your dad. If I may, I would like to relay a story about your dad. In my mind he was a “sower of sparks.” Let me explain. I do not remember the exact dates on these things but when Linda and I first came to Chisago Baptist we were involved in a group of adults who did social type things on occasion. I remember one Saturday evening when we ended up for dessert at your parent’s house. As we were gathering our things to leave your dad pulled me aside and said he had something he wanted to show me. He showed me 2 VCR tapes. They were Gaither “Homecoming” tapes. He asked if I had heard them before. Well, I knew who the Gaithers were but I had never seen a “Homecoming” tape before. He said, “I think you would really enjoy them.” I thought I would give them a try. He also suggested that I sing some of the songs on the tapes. I had grown up in churches where the music was very conservative. That included before college, college and even into our young married life. The music on the tapes - Southern Gospel (sometimes just called Gospel) was a wonderful awakening for me. The music, the message and the emotion all affected me beyond any other music that I had ever sung. I liked it and from that point on if I had to sing in church I leaned more toward that type of music. See, your father was a “sower of sparks” to me. A sower of imagination and desire to pursue something better. Fast forward now who knows how many years to the retirement of Pastor Cable - that would be his first retirement. We found out that Mrs Cable enjoyed Southern Gospel music and so we put together a men’s quartet to sing a couple of numbers. John Hraba, Rich Jansma, myself and Allan Brace had formed a Southern Gospel quartet and we loved it. At last the “sparks of imagination” had gone full flame. It was a few songs here and there, a concert for the church and then our first concert outside the church. Just like in those “Homecoming’ tapes. The Faithful Men Quartet continued to sing for 18 years, record 8 cds, sing somewhere around 750 concerts, travel all over the upper Midwest, and minister to so many people. We had people contact us and tell us how a specific song had ministered to them and even helped them through difficult times. It was the most enjoyable, rewarding ministry I have ever had a part in. Who knows who provides a spark that sets a fire aflame? How many times have I set a spark of imagination in motion that has resulted in a ministry that has helped so many? When I think back on the Faithful Men Quartet I credit 2 people: Elmer Jahn and George Cable. Thank you for giving me the space to write this. I have nothing but fond memories of your dad.

    Dave Engen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I can't begin to share how much joy I felt as you shared your story. My dad couldn't sing to save his life, but he LOVED good music, southern gospel was some of his favorites! I can imagine how much he would've enjoyed hearing your quartet. (Faithful Men quartet was such a source of enjoyment over the years, you know.)
      And I know well the inspiration that my dad was--he loved to dream...and would cast a vision. I loved that about him.
      Thank you for sharing, Dave. Very special :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.