Monday, February 9, 2009

Unique (it's not just a thrift store)

“You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.”
These ominous words were the last to be heard by an individual before having his/her body physiologically and psychologically taken over as electronic probes were inserted in the sides of one’s neck.
Chilling.
The end result was another drone, another nameless, numbered warrior in the collective of thousands, each robbed of individuality and uniqueness, joined with one mind to the center control station called the “Borg”.
There was no known defense to this assault.

This encounter from the sci-fi television series “Star Trek” (despite one’s interest or disinterest in being a ‘trekkie’) illustrates in its contrast the blessing of kingdom participation; I speak of our membership in the heavenly kingdom’s force on earth; the local church.

When we take on Christ (perhaps more accurately when He ‘takes on’ us), we join a collective of sorts, a body the New Testament identifies as the church. But, in contrast to the Borg who have no interest in nor take any part of the individual in this process, we remain who we are in many ways.

We are not assimilated; we are transformed.

Thus, though our sinfulness will in an ongoing way continue to be eradicated to be more like that of our leader (Christ), our diversity is actually lauded.

Romans 12 explains that the diversity of our gifts as we use them for the collective (our church) strengthens the whole. Indeed, if we were all the same, the Biblical writer explains, the body of Christ would be weaker.
This fills me with great relief.

I do not have to serve God with the gifts that another has. I do not have to conform to the pattern of any other believer. In fact, Scripture warns me of the folly of comparing myself with others.
I do not have to conform to any single pattern of performance, behavior, lifestyle or thinking other than THAT WHICH IS THE MIND OF CHRIST.
I am to guard the stewardship of my own gifts, my own abilities, my own opportunities of service based on who I am and allow Him to transform them into THAT WHICH IS THE LOVE OF CHRIST.
And I am to pour my life into this service for Him.
The Holy Spirit then takes my human efforts, and at his will, transforms them for God’s glory.

What has God made unique about you?
Are you talkative & engaging? Use this for Him
Are you contemplative and introspective? Serve others in this.
Are you organized and structured? Capitalize on this for another’s’ blessing.
Are you energetic and ‘hands on’? Work for the cause of Christ.
Like to draw, to paint, to get your hands dirty, to sing, to write?
Good at numbers, at recipes, at remembering, at decorating, at reading?
Find a way to use your gifts for the eternal purposes of Christ’s body.

God could’ve assimilated us; He chose not to.
Instead, He desires to transform us.
Display boldly your 'color' on the canvas of this, His beautiful design.
Whatever color you are.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the encouraging post. I'm a pastor's wife and I choose to serve the Lord with all of my heart (just as you do).

    I pray that you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.