Tuesday, September 13, 2011

SIGH...

 Are you facing difficulty this week? A problem that looms large? Perhaps an ongoing situation in which it is just plain hard to persevere?
I’ve found myself facing a heaviness of spirit born of intense responsibility and hectic demands…and I’m just plain tired. Not mere physical weariness, but emotional and spiritual weariness that asks, ‘how long can I keep this up?’
How do I respond?
(And this is where the BATTLE begins).

 I’m grateful for a battle plan that can guide me (with and in the Spirit’s strength), and so I discipline myself to face the enemy with the weapon of TRUTH.
I call them my “First Response” Questions.

1. What do I know about God? (Where is God in this?)
*In facing problems, I always consider vertical (God+me) first, then proceed to horizontal (me+situation)

  •  He is in control, knew this would happen, ordained it for my good & his glory
  • This is an opportunity for my sanctification: may reveal my sin; my heart is not trustworthy …I need to beware!
  • Trials help me grow: I can learn from this…”Lord, help me learn your truth!”
  • God is with me; here in this; He can provide strength, wisdom, the path to proceed

2. What is my call in this? (How do I respond?)
  •  All the qualities of Christ, fruits of Spirit, qualities of love, wisdom
  • 1 Pet 2:21-24 ‘when Christ was reviled, responded in meekness’
  • Gal 5:22-23 with fruits of peace, longsuffering, gentleness; patience
  • James 1:19 quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger
  • James 3:13-18 wisdom wears meekness, good conduct, pure, peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy & good fruits; wisdom also is NOT wearing selfish ambition, jealousy;
  • I Cor 13 – my call in this is to mirror the qualities of God’s love as I respond
  •  HELP! I need the gospel to do this. “Lord, do in me what I can’t do myself!!”

 3. What pitfalls do I need to avoid? (Where am I tempted or weak?)

  •  Emotional response: anger, fear, worry, vengeance, stubbornness
  • Unbelief: “God’s ways won’t work here”; “I can’t persevere in this trial”
  • Bitterness & Denial: “I’ll just plow forward & get through it”, bury heart response
  • Self reliance & independence. “I can fix this, do this, find the solution”
  • Look outside of God’s provision: ‘do it my way’ ; rush to fix it apart from God’s designs & call

 4. Is there need to seek help or further counsel? (Do I need to know more/have support?)

  •  Do I seek God’s Word, Prayer, Biblical counsel, Biblical resources?
  • Have I asked my husband, the Body of Christ, extended godly support persons?
  •  Do I remember to be patient & don’t hurry to conclusions in times of uncertainty 
5. What’s the ‘action step’? 
  •  What do I need to keep focus on in relation to my own heart response/attitudes?
  •  How do I move forward in obedience to God in this circumstance?
  • What does a Biblical solution look like in this situation?
  •  Do I need to ask another to help in accountability? Have I sought God in prayer?

 In the quietness of my own heart before God we go over these familiar buoys which point me to truth, and I quietly settle my soul, mind and heart in quiet submission... and I then can find rest in God.

 (Not that it is easy, but as I’ve said before, Grace doesn’t make things easy; grace makes hard things possible.)

 Thank you, God, for your amazing grace, even amid very hard things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.