Wednesday, May 28, 2014

How Do You Wake Up?

The Alarm. A big yawn.  The pillow-adjustment that begs, please….just let me stay a few more minutes!

It’s morning.

How do I live in the gospel for today?

In a conversation with a friend recently, she shared her “first-thing-after-waking-up” question that she ponders silently before getting out of bed.

How does the gospel impact this day?

Literally, she asks herself and then answers (not out loud, of course).  And it sets the tone for her day.
This practical, ‘gospel-focused’ strategy intrigued me, and I’ve been trying to do it each morning, too.
Sure, the truths of Christ’s death and resurrection provided my entrance into the Christian life. But how do these same truths impact my day-to-day routines, my ongoing responsibilities,  and my responses to all that life throws me (the good & bad)? 

 How do I live in the gospel  for today?

I’ve thought of (and pondered in the early morning in my own head)  at least four  ways:

1.       Gratitude. Jesus died for me so that I now stand (or lie, at this early morning point) as His chosen child, adopted, rescued, and completely righteous in his sight. Wow! What a reality to wake up to! It gives me hope and joy.

2.   Purpose. My identity as God’s child pushes me to think past the dirty sink of dishes, the extra pounds that make me feel unattractive, the grudge that I was nursing from yesterday’s offense. It beckons me beyond the to-do list that turns me into a nazi, and points my gaze past the call of this world’s pleasure cruise of entertainments, Instead, the cross winsomely beckons me to think BIG, to look LONG, to consider my part in what God might be doing in my world.

3.   Provision. For responsibilities that seem impossible, unpleasant, or just mundane & wearisome, the gospel points me to reliance on God, to His power through Christ. The impossible becomes possible because of supernatural power. He can enable me. And so as I mentally inventory the day’s callings for me, I ask for God’s provision and help. I claim his promises of strength and power. And I plead for his wisdom and enablement. Then I walk forward in faith-driven obedience.

4.   Power. I have ongoing sin struggles and temptations that loom large. Will I ever gain victory? Self pity (why is it always so hard? ), obsessive thinking (paralysis by analysis), and discontentment (where is God not enough?, let me count the ways…) are my regular companions. Yet, before I slink out of bed, I remind myself of truth: Christ has already won the battle over my sin, and He can empower me to live in this reality. It begins with one Spirit-dependent choice at a time.

And so as I lie in those first moments of waking up, I pray:  God, give me a view of the Cross and all that you provided for me that connects directly to this day.

Enable me to live in the gospel.

How does the gospel impact the calling of your day? 


2 comments:

  1. Timely. Thank you, Elaine (and your wise friend).
    "Will I ever gain victory? Self pity (why is it always so hard? ), obsessive thinking (paralysis by analysis), and discontentment (where is God not enough?, let me count the ways…) are my regular companions. Yet,...Christ has already won the battle over my sin, and He can empower me to live in this reality. It begins with one Spirit-dependent choice at a time."

    How do I live in the Gospel today? My Scripture-reading today was on God not answering Saul though he first sought Him in the right ways, before then resorting to the medium at En-dor in his desperation (1 Sam 28). I live in the Gospel today by not taking God's favor toward me for granted; He answers me when I call. Saul was in desperate fear knowing God was not for him but against him. I don't know what I would do in Saul's situation. But even when I am not in his situation, how poorly have I handled the safety of having God on my side the last few days.

    And on a side note, what extra pounds?? :D You are generously blessed with beauty inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean: you inspire me with your full-hearted pursuit of God, and you encourage me (in laughter) as I read your final comment above. :-)
      Let's both keep looking to the only One who is true joy and hope!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.