Saturday, June 13, 2015

A Look Inside from Romans 12


Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.  Romans 12:3

Have you ever thought about this verse, and wondered at the accuracy of your self-analysis? Aren’t we ALL prone to unknowingly think more highly of ourselves than we should?

My reading today in Romans 12 gave me pause to stop and consider: How DO I know if I’m heeding this warning?  Satan is such a deceiver, and I know my heart is often very blinded to my own sin.

Think with me on this:
 Have you ever been in a discussion where 2 opposite viewpoints leave you at an impasse, even though both of you love God and believe you are following him? What do you do in that situation? The answer reveals a lot about how highly you think of yourself:
  • Do you ever look at our fellow brother or sister in Christ in critical judgment, condemning their choice in a certain situation or their belief in a specific area? 
  • Do you straight-up think: “I’m right in this situation, as I’ve got more experience, wisdom, maturity, or spiritual insight”?  End of story.
  •  Do you unconsciously put people in categories (“boxes”) and judge then according to that box: she’s just young, he’s just old-school, they just don’t get it, he’s just hard-nosed, she’s too touchy-feely, Howard is just Howard, I’ve got no time for ______,  she’s high maintenance, etc?
In each of these examples,  not only is there a judgement about the other person, but there is a judgement made about yourself:  You have the right view/opinion/perspective/answer.

Logically speaking, isn’t this prideful and presumptuous?
Though it may not be consciously chosen, aren’t you thinking of yourself more highly than you ought to think?

I am NOT saying we aren’t to have our own opinions, or that we are to defer to everyone else’s judgement, or that we can’t have our own differing conclusions.  No, this is not the point.

The point IS that before we conclude and as we consider the other we do so with this attitude:

The one who holds the differing/opposing/irritating/contrary view is just as credible in God’s eyes as I am, and may have something to teach/show/challenge me on…whether in this issue or in a broader sense.   If I dismiss them as a person based on one issue, I may miss the very intent God had in this!

My response, then, ought to be an open-mindedness, willing to listen, and a soft heart that leans toward the person…..even if I eventually land on the opposite side of their position.

And truth be told: this takes God’s grace and supernatural assistance because the difficult choice to do this must reoccur over and over and over again.
  •   The person in church who grates me the wrong way (you fill in the blank why this is)
  • The woman who doesn’t seem to ‘get it’ and talks on and on…
  • The one who is agenda driven and seems to ignore me as a person unless there’s a job to be done
  • The mom who allows her child to do _________ and seems clueless to its pitfall.
  • The sister in Christ who has a more strict view on _______ than I do, and doesn’t seem to get what freedom in Christ is
  • The sister in Christ who is less conservative than I in ________, and doesn’t seem to get the importance of this

In my realm of relating with people, it is views on music, schooling, drinking alcohol, even using drums  in church (or not using drums in church!) that often get people riled and outspoken. (Your issues in your context may differ.) The question remains:  How do I respond in my thoughts about that person when these situations come up?
The answer reveals a lot about how I view myself .  Any time I think another is inferior, I’m judging myself to be superior.   

And this is a direct conflict with Romans 12:3

Lord, give me a soft, grace-saturated, humble spirit toward those I may differ with.  Even more so, give me an open mind to how this very person may be Your way to refine me to reflect you better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.