Friday, July 23, 2010

What Do I Know About God?

Recently I’ve explained to several others that when I get hit with challenging, discouraging or disappointing situations in my life, I try to focus my thoughts on the answer to this question:
What do I know about God?


You see, I’ve found it easy and natural in times of hardship to focus on my lack of understanding, my sense of unfairness of it all, my desire for greener pastures, or even on my version of how God should bring about his will (or what that will is).

These avenues of thought usually take me down dead end alleys, leaving me further from truth and closer to doubt and doom. Careful…black ice just ahead!

Instead, I’ve learned to discipline myself to insert a few quarters in the truth meter and park for awhile in contemplation as I ponder the answer to this question:

In reference to my current situation, what do I know about God?

Usually, the answer goes something like this.
(I roll down my window and let the breeze flow through. Fresh air is so helpful during times of brain fog!)

¨ This situation is not a surprise to God, and it is not outside his control.
¨ His care of me is unchanging, relentless and perfect. This includes my present circumstance.
¨ He has a purpose in all things, and one facet of this purpose is likely my sanctification. That is, my personal walk with Him that He desires to grow stronger because of this particular issue.
¨ Any thoughts I have of shortcuts in God’s design for me in this? Well, these are folly-filled, danger-ridden counterfeits to the goodness of God. And I dare not entertain them for a moment.

What do I know of God?

¨ He is good.
¨ He is faithful.
¨ He is wise.
¨ He is constant.

And as I choose to pull away from my parking spot (wayside rest) to continue my journey, I’ve been fortified with His truth. I am then ready to go back in the stormy weather or construction detours or windy roads or whatever the path He’s deemed me to go on.

Instead of naval gazing at myself or gawking at traffic around me, I readjust my perspective to look to Him.
And my past experience with my faithful, loving, merciful God of grace is so rich, how can I doubt? How ridiculous is that?!!

What do you know about God? (Talk to Him about it in relationship to your present circumstances.)

His heart of goodness, sovereign control and sanctifying purposes never expire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.