Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What Kind of A Pastor Does God Value?




“He doesn’t bark out orders like a shop foreman
He leads by his example, and by his teaching.
In essence, that’s the message of I Timothy 3*.”
(*key passage listing the qualifications for a pastor)

This (almost) exact quote was from my theology professor. 
(Who said theology is dry…or isn’t practical?!)
I scribbled to keep up with my note-taking, but returned again and again to this thought in the days that followed: He leads by his example…and by his teaching.

The professor’s commentary gave me pause to reflect on the passage to which he referred, and to consider what it communicates about God’s intentions for those who would lead a church.
Is this what  I appreciate and prioritize in a leader?

I Tim 3:1-5
The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, with all dignity, keeping his children submissive,  for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church?

Culture, and sometimes our own intuition, identifies important qualities of a leader along the lines of strong personality, a take-charge presence, a dynamic/charismatic and bold “make-it-happen” persona.  
Along with this would be the talents of creative and engaging presentation, enjoyable and relevant pulpit proclamation which intertwines with a ‘down to earth’ pulpit presence.
(I note the interesting parallel to the business model of successful manager or powerful entrepreneur/motivational speaker.)

But none of these emphases make God’s list. 

Indeed, the two-fold focus of God’s priority is on character and giving out the pure message.
“Above reproach” and “apt to teach”
 He is to lead by his example, and by his teaching.

1. His Example.  "Above reproach" (often translated ‘blameless’) reflects the significance of a leader’s example—ultimately his character---and no part of his life is off-limits. Indeed, his character is assumed to be on full display, and the passage identifies 10+ demonstrations of the caliber of integrity that is required. 
We then should ask, and consider of utmost importance, this question: What kind of character do our leaders display? 

For me in my church, the answer fills me with praise and thanksgiving. 
For by God’s grace at Eden Baptist, our elders are clothed in the humility of just such character: faithful to their wives, single-minded in devotion to eternal concerns, self-controlled, held in high regard, sincerely interested in others, gentle, reasonable, and open-minded, not impressed with affluence, worldly comforts or the newest technology. Not perfect, but humble, holy, and headstrong in pursuit of God. 
         
           One can learn from and follow their example.

And this seems to be the intent of God’s design, for he reiterates this very point in Hebrews 13:7
Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God.
 Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.

And so I am challenged today: 
Do I value the leadership of my pastors, and do I value in them the qualities that God does? 
Do I pray for the integrity of their hearts and actions? Do I recognize the heavy burden of their calling, of their sacrifice?
Do I reject the discontentment of wanting ‘flashy’, perhaps entertaining, or tailor-made approaches/programs/leaders in my church that would please me…and instead ravish in humble gratitude for the godly character of each man as he submits to God, as he serves in selflessness?


Next post: He is to lead by his teaching.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.