Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Teachers + Hearers = Learners?

7:10 am + 18-20 year olds + English grammar & composition =
The perfect storm?

Some days I felt like that as I stood as the teacher of freshman  (college) composition some years back.
Yet, learning did occur in some form to at least some individuals. The combination of clear content taught with the student’s effort to hear and remember (even if robust interest wasn’t there) resulted in some learning. At least enough to get a passing grade.

When it comes to spiritual teaching, the listener and the instructor have a much higher stake. But the dual responsibility of the hearer to be attentive, receptive, and teachable along with the pastor’s calling to give the Word responsibly, carefully, and clearly combusts with the Holy Spirit’s work to provide learning and growth!

On the side of the pastor, this responsibility of teaching is of high importance.
“He [an elder] must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.”  Titus 1:9

Direct conclusions from this verse:

1) He must first hold firm (believe & live out for himself) this truth. (We talked about this in my last post.)
2) Instruction is in sound doctrine – He is to teach truth about God, His ways, His person, our relationship to Him as spelled out in Scripture (not merely his own or another’s ideas).
3) He must rebuke those who oppose sound doctrine – He is to identify false teaching and challenge its error.

This responsibility of the pastor is not an easy one for many reasons; one factor (corresponding to my opening example) is that often listeners aren’t all that excited about the content and would rather hear something more interesting or seemingly relevant.
Yet, he is to faithfully instruct his listeners in the vital, solid truth of the Word, refusing to tickle the ears with cultural substitutes that often appeal to our needs-based human natures.

Does your pastor consistently proclaim and explain the Scriptures? Does he work his way through the Biblical text to articulate its meaning and apply it to your heart and life? Does he resist taking on trendy topics of self help, practical living, and feel-good messages that distract from or distort the truth in these areas?  If so, take a moment to thank God for a man who is obedient to God’s call…and this verse!

And for us as listeners, Do we value the teaching that goes on in our church? Do we attend consistently, listen attentively, and respond obediently to this pastoral teaching of God’s truth? Are we willing to do the hard work of thinking as part of our worship?

I know for me, I do…sometimes…and especially if this teaching is on the topic in which I’m interested, by the teacher I most enjoy, and in the manner that most helps me learn.
Other times, well...I find it more difficult or unappealing to do this hard work.
But like the assortment of freshmen that attended my class, the outcome of learning will directly relate to the input of one's own effort and attention.
And when it comes to learning about God and fighting sin and growing in my spiritual life, I do want to reap the greatest possible harvest in my heart & life. I really, really do.

And so I pray,
 “Lord, help me to commit to the careful attention of your Word as it is preached and taught. And don’t let me short circuit your plan for this growth by my own inattention, laziness, or apathy.
And thank you for providing a church where your word is faithfully taught by men who obey the mandate of Titus 1:9."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.