Friday, September 27, 2013

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

If you are a woman, you don’t have to look very far or read very much to find advice on finding balance. Likely, since the Garden of Eden, women have tried to dodge the excesses of imbalance and the peril that results.
 (“Eve, Eve”, pleads Adam, “I really need some clean animal skins and NOT another recipe for soup,  no matter how many dozens of new herbs you are discovering or how much fun it is to concoct them. Can you help me out, here?!” 
---Imagination purposes only here; no authentic Scriptural support intended J)

Finding balance indeed has its value, and we all can attest to the havoc in personal, family, or business lives when things get out of whack.
But  like all good things, the pursuit of balance can become unreasonable.
I call this the Dr. Jekyll (good) and Mr. Hyde (evil) effect.  
As it relates to balance in how we spend our time, it goes like this;

Dr. Jekyll:
I must limit my obligations so that I can give primary focus to my priorities: God, family, husband & home.
Mr. Hyde:
I can do little else but keep house, care for my children and husband, and attend Sunday services. Time with God, ministry, serving, looking to the needs of others interferes with these priorities so gets attention only when convenient or appealing. “Take on one more thing….are you nuts?!!”

Dr. Jekyll:
I must monitor the stress level of my own person so I have resources and health to pour into my  home, family,  and job.
Mr. Hyde:
I can do or give only that which I feel like doing, which comes when I’m not busy, or which does not require much sacrifice or hardship. I tire easily!

Dr. Jekyll:
Relaxation and rejuvenation enable me to persevere over the long haul, and God gives rest and entertainment as a good gift.
Mr. Hyde:  I am entitled to “Me-time” because of all I do, and I will protect it as sacred: no need of another, call for help, or opportunity to serve another will get in the way of what I need and enjoy.

Dr. Jekyll:
My children are a stewardship from God, and I am responsible to feed them, teach them, care for them, discipline  them, and invest in them as unto the Lord.
Mr. Hyde:
My time, energy, and resources all go to my children’s education, academic and extra curricular pursuits, wholesome and natural  nutrition,  and seeking their fulfillment and potential! I have no real opportunity to be involved in anything else because we’re too busy and too tired!  

Dr. Jekyll:
My husband and I are committed to a marriage of unity, love, and robust delight, which requires times of focus on our relationship as a couple.
Mr.Hyde:
My  husband is obligated to my specified forms of romance and frequent times for “just us” that limit our involvement in the lives of others and in other good things---but after all, aren’t I the most important “ministry” he has. We can perhaps minister in another season of life OR we already have put in our time.

 So easily, something that is good (wanting to limit unreasonable, ongoing, unhealthy demands) can take on the ugly form of something bad (selfishness, excuses for self indulgence, misplaced priorities).

I'm thankful for the role of the Holy Spirit to convict and teach, for the  truth of God's Word to inform and reprove, and for the example of others who give "skin" to how the sacrificial, eternal investment of this life looks, and that it is not a luxury cruise featuring a comfortable, stress-free life of balance. 

I admit I have much to learn in the pursuit of balance. 
But keep me honest, will you? So that this desire doesn't morph into the pursuit of my own preferred form of idol-worshiping banality : to eliminate stress, be at peace with my inner self, or maintain my own standard of life for myself or my family...etc.

Dr. Jekyll is welcome to come knocking.
Mr. Hyde? ---May God help me to pull the shades, lock the doors, and deny him entrance!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder, Elaine. But, as women, I think we're more like The Three Faces of Eve, than Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Eve White is afraid to say no to anything, and ends up feeling swamped with responsibility. Eve Black does whatever she likes, without regard to anyone else. Jane is the one we are all trying to be with the help of the spirit. Stable, managing our families and still doing what God has for us to do.
    Just thought if you were going to use a crazy person as an example, it should be a crazy woman:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suggestion. Maybe I could do a sequel post. That would mean I'd have to research all 3 faces of Eve (and all her skeletons), however. Not sure if I'm up to all the hard work of you real authors. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.