Tuesday, April 1, 2014

In the Middle of Your Day....and Mine

For those in a life season filled with sticky toddler hands, early mornings (or late nights), battles with little wills, and lots of “take care of me” tasks, I offer this encouragement:

God sees, knows, and smiles 
at your life of love. 

He is pleased with every hour, minute, and mundane, sacrificial chore.
“Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God”. Heb 13:16
Perhaps even more importantly, this calling is connected to the grand gospel enterprise;
Titus 2
“…train the young wives to love their husbands and children, to be self controlled, pure, working at home, kind and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled (vs 4-5).
.so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior (vs 10)
The way you respond to your defiant two-year old, react to the broken dishwasher, deal with the temptations to be discontent, and even how you choose to handle a request by your husband is meant to reflect the glory of God.

Wow. High calling.
And it is yours.

You can adorn the doctrine of God in the daily grind of caring for your husband, children, home.
Because, all of the menial responsibilities of your life are ultimately given for a grander purpose:
“Keeping a home, serving strangers, “settling down”, raising a family—none of this was ever about us. It was always about the sake of the gospel,”  (Furman, Glimpses of Grace, p 96)
Our behavior is to confirm, not contradict, the message of God’s great love to mankind in Christ.

Several practical truths flow out of this:
1. My life is a display to others and to God himself. This makes ‘small tasks’ big, and heightens the mundane into ‘bring glory to God’ opportunities.  He sees. He knows. He is pleased with my faithfulness. And so I can rejoice in the every-day sacrifices as they allow me to honor God and show my love for him.

2. The gospel that I am to live out is the same gospel which I live in. I cannot live righteousness on my own (not kind words, not patience toward my toddler, not selfless love for my husband, not industry toward my housework, not interest in my neighbor). I need God from the moment I awake to the moment I fall into bed at night. Any reliance apart from this is a false gospel.

3. This is a gospel of grace.  This means I offer forgiveness, mercy, rescue and love to others in my life, and I run to Christ for these same things myself, as I fail often and regularly

4. This gospel-focused approach poisons my attraction for all the decoys:  the perfectly decorated home, organized schedule, perfectly behaved kids, cute FB photo overload,  my childrens’ perfect education, preoccupation with my fitness/looks, family picture-perfect vacations, even healthful menus and balanced schedules…none of these take prime emphasis.  Oh they are appealing…but instead eternal pursuits take front & center focus. I continually ask, What am I doing today that will count for eternity?

Let’s encourage each other. Let’s engage our thoughts and move our conversations in ways that spotlight God’s wonderful design of bringing his glory to the daily callings of our lives

Today  I need to respond to a child who just got a speeding ticket: how will I adorn the gospel in this? (I’m pretty sure raised decibels and shipping him/her to the middle of Alaska is not the answer. )

What is your calling today? How will the gospel meet you there?
He. Is. Enough.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.