Sunday, November 30, 2014

9:15 a.m. One Sunday Morning

I’m concerned for a trend I notice in our younger generation's lives.  (And I suppose it is not just the younger that fall prey to this…)

The issue?  Bypassing Bible class (S.S.) hour and coming only for morning worship.

Oh, I get (easily!) the hardship of getting all ready and out the door before 9 am. I understand (well!)  the allure of that extra hour in the morning (sleep, make lunch, get organized, shower, I can eat!).  I KNOW the hassle that early mornings present….times 5 when toddlers/babies are involved!  I realize how harmless it may seem to make this choice. I (WELL) can identify with the “same old, same old” nature of what most Bible class teaching is.

 And, I do realize it is not a moral (right/wrong) issue.  I’m not being legalistic by insisting it is a MUST. I know there is not a verse in the Bible that says "Thou shalt attend Sunday School hour".

Still, I offer five benefits that are squandered in the life choice of NOT making this hour a habit.

1. Teaching :  Hours of cumulative wisdom, insight, truth and eternal perspective is what the steady discipline of putting yourself in a Bible class chair (with open mind and listening heart) will reap.  SO MUCH of the rest of our week is battling the opposing voices…our culture, our own sinful hearts, Satan’s lure and temptations, our own self-reliant strategies.  And in the deceitfulness of our own hearts in which we live 24/7,  there is truth that needs to be teased out via the Word of God.   Are we truly so saturated with God’s voice already that we can afford to BYPASS this opportunity on Sunday morning, and just stay home?!

2. Faithfulness: the disciplines of consistent participation and attendance reap unseen advantage and pave the way for lifelong building of character.  Not your presence because you FEEL like it today, not your attendance because you JUDGE it worthwhile that day. Not making the effort because you have ENERGY to do what it takes. Not choosing to attend because CIRCUMSTANCES are all conducive.   In contrast, acting on a reasoned decision to put yourself in the place of truth that is not allowed to be bypassed but instead insisted on ---not because you believe you have to, but because you know it is WISE…..despite your feelings or circumstances.

3. Fellowship and Community:  the more time you spend with others, the more opportunity you have to know, love, speak into, and be encouraged by another’s life. This goes both ways. Whether it be a discussion within the Bible class hour, a conversation before class begins, or the open time between Bible class and church (that is missed when you arrive during this time to make it to morning worship), all these are windows of opportunity to interact with your brothers and sisters in Christ.  Missing these adds to the sense of feeling disconnected AND robs one of another chance at building meaningful relationships based on mutual knowledge of and interest in each other’s lives!

4. Legacy: Your pattern sets an example that is observed. Future generations (whether it be the kids in your own home or others outside your home) rarely move in a stronger direction; instead, patterns typically graduate toward increased permissiveness.  This is just how it is. I don’t make my choices BECAUSE of what others may do in result, but I do consider this when determining what is best in the choices I make.

5. Heart protection and direction:  I wish I could say that my soul is bent toward spiritual vigor and perseverance in godliness.  I’ve noticed, however, that my natural drift is toward going easy on myself and embracing in subtle shades of grey my own idolatries and rationalizations.  Frankly, this means I can’t really trust my own heart.  So, deciding randomly on any given Sunday morning (or Saturday night) what is best for my soul (“do I attend this class, or do I stay home??”) is not a wise option to leave open.  I’ll most often find a ‘good’ reason (or 6) to miss.  Instead, the discipline to build this habit into my routine protects my heart by pointing it in a direction that will most Sunday mornings put it in the hearing of God’s Word.  This default determination guards my heart from the creeping “little-by-little” allowances that add up to big downward change….like the proverbial frog in the boiling water pot.

Some will respond to this perspective with cries of “legalism”,  stodgy  ‘grace-less’ moralism, or faulty ‘slippery-slope” reasoning.    “Stop being so judgmental, Elaine”!

I merely offer a caution from my perspective: consider it and respond with your own conclusion*.

And if you want to talk further about it, catch me right after Bible class hour this next Sunday; it’s a great chance to discuss.  (In God’s grace), I‘ll be there.


*Do I conceive of legitimate reasons not to attend Bible class? Of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.