Saturday, November 1, 2014

It's Not About Me (another aspect)

It was 2nd grade, I was a new teacher, and the challenge before me was curious:

Angela (not her real name)  was a well-behaved child and a bright student. But her struggle became apparent right away.
Angela had to have everything in perfect order, an order of her determination; she had no ability to flex, and she insisted on this in almost every setting.

Writing test: needed sharp pencil, no tears or smudges on her paper, and exactly “X” number of minutes for her to complete it to perfection.  An eraser smear or unexpected fire drill and she was devastated.
Gym class: needed her special tennis shoes tied ‘just so’, the rules enforced flawlessly, and her own participation evenly matched to others’ turns.   Any variation on this: “But teacher….” , she’d whine.
Lunch:  Specifically supplied and prepared by a mom who knew her preferences, she’d raise her hand immediately if the juice pack wasn’t the ‘right’ flavor, or if on a field trip something was different than she was used to.
Assignments.   This was the worst.  Unless the environment, terms, other group members (even of her reading group) worked according to her idea of how the program was intended to be run, she’d morph into a commandant or retreat into stubborn refusal. 

Much of what she insisted on and demanded were good things, and her ultimate goal was ‘the best’ and adherence to the directions….but she seemed to have turned so inward to what she believed was needed that she missed the greater and more important principle to succeed: you have to be able to give up your own preferences & go with the flow---sometimes for the good of another!

Angela’s struggle parallels an important principle in our Christian life. It was brought to my attention this week in a challenge by Stuart Scott from Philippians 2. 

Jesus Christ loved not when (or because) it was convenient, but in an act of overwhelming sacrifice.
Sacrificial love vs. Convenient love.
(Angela’s insistence for “right, convenient atmosphere” drove her participation—anything different and she resisted or refused.) 
Christ was the ultimate constrast to this. He loved ESPECIALLY AMID the most unfair, difficult arena. We know this as sacrifice.

Sacrificial love vs Convenient love.

This relates to our lives daily. I ask myself:
  • Do I love (others, God) as it is convenient for me….or does my love reflect sacrifice?
  • In caring for my husband – is it what I enjoy, prefer, think ‘best’,  feel like….or do I sacrifice?
  •  In reaching out to others- is it who I most feel comfortable with, enjoy, is ‘like me’….or do I sacrifice?
  •  In ordering my time –do I insist on the perfect ‘no stress’ schedule, everything has to fit just right….or do I sacrifice?  Even in ministry or serving, is it the way I prefer....or do I sacrifice to meet what the need is?
  • In working with others, do I require they do things a certain way….or do I sacrifice my ‘idea of how it works best’...my insistence others do things my way?
  • Do I most often say 'yes" when asked to do something....or do I have a long checklist to go through to see if THEN I can do it? 

Sacrificial love vs. Convenient “my way” love?

Angela was oblivious to her mindset, unaware any problem existed (mostly believing the problem was another’s…even when the teacher tried to steer her in a less self-focused direction!)

I’m challenged to ask the Holy Spirit to open my blind eyes to see areas I may be unaware of, to ask others to help me identify where I’m choosing what is convenient over sacrifice, and to examine myself before God to ask.
Do I have to have my ducks in a row before I serve, love, minister, or move forward?
That is not the mindset of Christ or the pattern of Philippians 2.

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
   Philippians 2:5-8
I am quite certain Jesus did not come to earth because it was convenient and all the factors and details of His heavenly existence made it conducive. 
No, His heavenly father asked, Christ saw the need, and He said "yes" in supreme sacrifice.


 Lord, help me live out your example of sacrificial love in my heart and life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.