Tuesday, February 24, 2015

em·brace - an act of accepting or supporting something willingly or enthusiastically

What does it mean to embrace suffering? 

Since I know suffering is God’s tool to refine me and to produce growth in my life, how can I not merely endure it, but embrace it?

Today in Hebrews, I read that Christ was made perfect through his suffering (2:10). In 1 Peter I’m told that Christ’s suffering left me an example…that I am to follow (2:21).
Christ is the perfect example, not dodging suffering, but experiencing it, perfectly, as a human being (like you and me---no superhero suit that protected him from the pain or horror!)

Here’s what I observe of Christ’s response to suffering (which helps answer my question):

1. He brought his suffering to God in honest admission, but ultimately submitted His will to the Father’s will.   Do I, Lord? Do I run to you, pouring out my heart and heartache? Do I then stay in your presence (and search out your Word) until my heart is made pliable, soft and submissive?

2. He brought in his trusted friends and spiritual comrades to bear the burden with him (Gethsemane), even though they struggled in their own human weakness, and could offer only imperfect assistance. Do I risk revealing my own inadequacy, and do I reject my pride to admit to others that I need their help in this journey? Do I perceive their imperfect assistance with eyes of grace as your provision or do I view them through disappointed lenses of self pity-stained spectacles?

3. He proceeded forward in his suffering with a quiet confidence that neither broadcasted his misery inappropriately nor hid its anguish hypocritically. Do I model unselfish transparency that understands the unity of the body enough to open up about my struggle? Do I resist the empty promise of self pity that bids me unburden to any and all for the cheap relief of another’s sympathy?

4. He looked beyond the present trial to imagine His future joy. In my suffering, do I stand on spiritual tiptoes to see past the earthly prickles and thorns to view eternity—to glimpse that  garden of grandeur which gives off the scent of Christ Himself…and imagine “Someday!”?

5. Even amid his own misery, Christ never strayed from his earthly purpose to serve others: He  healed the soldier’s ear, looked after the future of his grieving mother, responded to the thief on the cross next to him. Do I notice and respond to the needs of those around me? Do I ponder my own fate for hours and hours, but spend only brief moments on thoughts for another?

6. Though he faced the ultimate injustice in his suffering, he never responded in self-justification, retaliated in unkindness or harshness, or used his suffering as a reason for impatience, anger or wrong response.  Do I reflect the perfections of Christ (His Spirit lives in me!) in my suffering? Does my passion for pleasing God translate into the absence of self-regard, give only love-controlled words to others, and possess the supernatural rejection of anything but Spirit-controlled responses? (When this is not the case, do I plead with God to make it so?!)

7. He discerned when wisdom required his silence, and when integrity required he give testimony to His father’s name.  Do I know the discipline of keeping private pain unspoken when discretion requires it? Do I know God’s courage to speak boldly to affirm God’s faithfulness when accusers would slyly suggest its lack?

8. He rested in the unspoken truth of God’s purposes rather than the loudly shouted opinions of the crowd.  Do I most loudly hear and most closely pay attention to Your voice, Lord? Do I reject cheap escape routes and counterfeit rescues to instead focus my eyes of faith on You?

9. He chose (again and again and again) to trust that God is the perfect judge – He will make all things right.  Do I know your mercies are new every morning, and so my choice to trust you in the face of my suffering is daily, as well. And that’s ok?

10. He persevered in his suffering to His death.  Without giving up. Without giving in. His love for us (and his obedience to His Father) meant that much.  Do I have fair-weather, fickle love for God that gives up/gives in when He chooses to refine me through suffering? Or do I choose to cling to His wisdom, goodness and power amid it all?

Embrace Suffering?
I’m not doing so well :(
But that is why I need the Gospel---that Christ would do in me what I could never do in myself.
(And, ironically,  He'll probably use his trusty tool of suffering to help accomplish this....)




4 comments:

  1. What a powerful, thought provoking blog! I have read it several times and know I need to read it more. I have seen my emotional pain, hurt, anger, sadness, as ways God can refine me but I have never looked at my physical pain in that way! The older I get the more physical pain I have but I just try to side step it and figure out a way for it to stop!! This has challenged me to look at and deal with all suffering in a different way. Thanks Elaine for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine: I struggle greatly in the day-to-day living out of my submission to God most especially in the face of suffering. My suffering tends to be emotional in nature, but I KNOW God has a plan for His glory and my good in it and so I continue to pursue Him in it. (And writing out my thoughts helps me process. Thanks for being such an encouraging audience to my ramblings :)

      Delete
  2. Elaine, this was so good to think through and I also will need to come back to this resource when my heart needs to speak to truth to itself. The way that it is written is concise enough that I can quickly gather my thoughts from focusing on myself and turning them to focus on honoring God through my suffering. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.