Saturday, March 21, 2015

One Man's Influence

I’ve written at least one other time about this man.
I strongly desire to do so again, encouraged by my conversation with him just this morning.

And what do I want to say?
“Thank you, Dad”

1. Thank you for making me laugh.  Oh, how this serious daughter needed a dad who would joke and poke fun and recount a story like no one else, all interspersed with belly-bouncing, sometimes roll-on-the-floor hilarity.  Thank you.

2. Thank you for modeling for me how to choose joy. Not only in joyful circumstances, but in all circumstances.  When you chose to donate a kidney, and it felt like you were hit by a semi truck (I remember).  When your daughter  (my sister) was murdered, and your world changed forever.  When your wife struggled through Alzheimers, and we shared laughter, but mostly tears. When she died of cancer, and we both mourned a remarkable, irreplaceable woman. When your own health deteriorates.   And yet, you hold onto God’s goodness and glory and your face (and your voice) still radiates joy.  Thank you.

3. Thank you for loving me with affection,  affirmation,  and generosity.  You spoke words that never left me wondering about your love. You gave me a sense of full belonging.  And your choice to adopt me? I always viewed it as God’s special gift to me---largely because that  is the way you & Mom presented it to me.  Thank you.

4. Thank you for not hiding your emotions.  If you knew the impact that you’ve had on me as I’ve seen your eyes tear up, heard your voice waver as you’ve spoken, communicated your concern or interest in something important to you while visibly moved---well, that has allowed me to catch a glimpse of your heart. And it reaffirms to me God’s good intention in creating my own emotions. They are not merely a part of me to suppress. Thank you.

5. Thank you for loving God and living it out.  Even when it was hard. When it isn’t exciting. When it isn’t convenient. When others around you lack passion and zeal.  You hunger for God’s truth and it shows in all your radio broadcasts and sermons and books and Scripture passages you’ve told me about over the years. You believe in God's church as evidenced in your devotion and involvment. Even now, at 85, your presence there is known & felt. Thank you.

6. Thank you for living straightforward yet  profound theology.
God is first: loving him, knowing him, giving like him, serving for Him.
Others matter: listening, welcoming, caring, sacrifice.
Things matter less: stuff, cars, fun, jobs, work, money---sure, life may be enhanced by them, but a life isn’t defined by them.
Thank you.

I know you aren’t perfect. I’ve heard the stories of all kinds of offenses (some punishable by law), and I've witnessed a few.

But God knew when he brought that squalling little baby into the Elmer & Joanne Jahn home that it would be the PERFECT place for me to grow up.   And I’ve OFTEN thanked Him.
Now, please allow me…with all my heart..to
Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. I wept. There is something heavenly about a grown daughter delighting to honor her father in public--a reflection of the Son's glory. It thoroughly rejoiced my heart. I am thankful the Lord gave you and your dad to each other in the journeys He has had you walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just now catching up on some reading. I have tears. That was beautiful, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate your input.